The Los Angeles LGBT Center is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Director of Senior Services.
The Director of Senior Services will play an integral role in the planning and development of the Anita May Rosenstein Senior Services Center. Reporting to the Director of Strategic Initiatives and in consultation with senior management, the director will have responsibility for developing and implementing a strategic vision for the Senior Services Department. The director will lead a staff of 12, manage a million-dollar annual budget, oversee the rapidly expanding Senior Services programs, the housing facility at Triangle Square and the additional one hundred units of housing planned for the new Campus. Core responsibilities include:
Program Strategy and Oversight
- Develop the mission and vision of Senior Services in coordination with the Los Angeles LGBT Center’s executive and senior management teams;
- Carry out long-term organizational objectives for the department as articulated by the Board of Directors in the strategic plan;
- Oversee the existing LGBT housing program, including managing relationships between staff, outside management companies and residents;
- Assist in planning development of the built and social environments in the new seniors’ housing community;
- Provide leadership for overall direction and program development of the department, including the administration of programs, projects and services;
- Evaluate overall results and recommend policies, procedures and actions to achieve program mission and goals;
- Monitor implementation of grants to ensure goals and outcomes are met.
- Oversee staff and directly manage supervisorial staff; provide guidance and support to individuals and encourage collaborative approach to departmental work; provide feedback to staff for improving individual and department performance;
- Build reciprocal relationships with other departments; make programmatic connections to current services within the Center when appropriate;
- Develop and manage the department’s budget; explore means to expand geographic reach of the department;
- Implement new data-base system; utilize data for assessment of efficacy of programs; develop budget/program planning and fundraising strategy based on data.
- Work with executive staff to develop a comprehensive strategy that integrates Senior Services into the larger mission of the organization.
- Take primary responsibility for writing and budget development of grant proposals;
- Determine the availability of public and private funding and explore new funding streams;
- Participate in development of fundraising strategy with Development staff.
Communications and Outreach
- Work with Policy & Community Building staff to develop local, state and national policy initiatives, which may include drafting and sponsorship of legislation to improve the lives of LGBT seniors;
- Build effective relationships with related organizations;
- Participate in appropriate coalitions with local and national organizations; assume an advocacy role for seniors on behalf of the Center;
- Build a national profile for the Center on seniors’ issues through the media and relationships with elected leaders, government officials and policy experts.
The Center is seeking a visionary leader to expand the Center’s world-renowned Senior Services Department. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of the needs of marginalized and at-risk populations and experience developing and implementing social service programs. The successful candidate should have the following:
- A minimum of five years management/supervisory experience in a social services, government, housing or non-profit setting;
- Demonstrated experience of working in a complex, multi-tiered organization with diverse client population and services;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with federal, state, regional, and local agencies, community leaders, and the general public;
- Demonstrated experience creating, refining, implementing and evaluating programs and services for at-risk and marginalized populations;
- Knowledge of available public and private resources and services; grant writing knowledge and experience highly preferred;
- Strong and effective managerial and leadership skills; experience in developing and managing budgets;
- Computer skills and knowledge, including database operations and spreadsheets;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational, detail and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with older adults preferred but not required.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial leader with a passion for the Center’s work and its mission to make the world a better place for LGBT people. The Director of Senior Services will have:
- Knowledge and understanding of social service program development;
- An understanding of the impact a lifetime of discrimination has on LGBT seniors;
- Knowledge of the history and public policy issues facing LGBT communities;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ethnicities, gender identities, ages, and sexual orientations in a multicultural environment;
- Flexibility to work in a large multi-tiered, hierarchical organization with a small organization vibe;
- The humility to leave all assumptions at the door and to face each day as an opportunity to learn and grow.
Our client is offering a competitive salary for this position, along with a comprehensive benefits package, including 403b, health, dental, vision, life and long-term disability.
This is a high profile opportunity for an accomplished leader to be an integral voice in the planning of services for the cutting-edge intergenerational Anita May Rosenstein Campus and to enhance the activities of the nation’s largest affordable housing development for LGBT seniors. The Director of Senior Services will shape programs that are a model for organizations across the country and around the world. At a critical historical moment, s/he will make major contributions to the growth and development of the nation’s oldest and largest organization for LGBT people. The Director of Senior Services will have the personal satisfaction of developing lifesaving and life-changing programs and services. Additionally, s/he will be an essential member of a team making significant contributions to an internationally renowned organization which is a pioneering leader in the civil rights struggle of our time.
The Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.