The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid is looking for a Director, State Demonstrations Group. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) works in partnership with the entire health care community to improve quality and efficiency in an evolving health care system and provides leadership in the broader health care marketplace.
This position is in the Senior Executive Service (SES), a small elite group of senior government leaders who possess a diverse portfolio of experience and the strong skills required to lead across organizations. This position is located in the Center for Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Services (CMCS), within CMS, in Baltimore (Woodlawn), MD.
As the Director, State Demonstrations Group (SDG) in CMCS, you will provide leadership and executive direction for CMS by establishing national policies pertaining to Medicaid section 1115 demonstrations that serve low-income families, adults and children. The Director, SDG serves as the agency lead for addressing emerging and precedent setting policies pertaining to these Medicaid section 1115 demonstrations.
- Develops national policies and procedures to support and assure appropriate State implementation of the rules and processes developed to expand capacity for the comprehensive review, approval, financing, monitoring, and evaluation of Section 1115 Demonstrations.
- Reviews and approves polices, oversees the process for the review of all Section 1115 Statewide Medicaid Demonstrations, especially as they pertain to eligibility and enrollment.
- Directs implementation of operational policies and procedures aimed at facilitating ways of streamlining the Section 1115 Demonstration renewal process for states.
- Directs implementation of policy that ensures that section 1115 demonstrations support the goals of the Medicaid program, including supporting States that are interested in implementing early progress towards current statutory provisions.
- Generates and applies new concepts in planning, conducting, evaluating and developing solutions for complex policy and program operations that will assist decision makers during the executive and legislative decision making process.
- Plans, organizes, and directs major Medicaid and CHIP policies related to the oversight and policy development of Section 1115 Demonstrations to ensure fiscal responsibility for the costs associated with these demonstrations.
- Manages the review of general Section 1115 Demonstrations, which includes targeted demonstrations as well as broad scope demonstrations. Oversees the provision of guidance and technical assistance to states interested in utilizing Section 1115 Demonstrations to support the goals of the Medicaid program, including supporting States that are interested in unconventional Medicaid expansion demonstrations.
To be qualified for this position, you must provide evidence of experience in a managerial capacity with responsibility for providing supervisory direction to a large and diverse organization responsible for promoting economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in the administration of programs and operations on a national level. This experience must be evidenced by sophisticated analytical skills, superior written and oral communication skills, good judgment, and experience in interacting with government and non-government officials. Typically, experience of this nature is gained at or above the GS-15 grade level in the Federal service, or its equivalent with state or local government, the private sector, or nongovernmental organizations.